12 November 2009

"..and how does this make you feel?"

I have bad dreams revolving around my teeth. This happens a lot.
I believe it started when I had braces and I had people in my mouth more than ever before. Now, I don't actually remember having these dreams while in braces, but as soon as I got them off, the nightmares started.
I wake up from one of these nightmares afraid to look in the mirror. Because in these dreams, I have crooked teeth that aren't just your average crooked, but teeth that stick out all which-a ways, like from under my lip because they are more horizontal, and turned 90 degrees to face either of my cheeks or a complete 180 degrees and facing the back of my throat. All this in one dream. In another I may have missing teeth or black teeth, or both.
Last night I dreamed I was on a cruise with my family and I was at this bar ordering a drink and I was playing with a tooth on the upper right side of my mouth that was hanging halfway off. The one next to this wiggly one was already missing, and while I was waiting on my drink and tonguing the loose one, it fell apart. Neither one of these teeth have come completely out of my gum, which looks even worse because people can see the base of my tooth still sticking out, there's just nothing more than 1 cm. of white coming out of my gum in both these places. I leave the bar and go up to my mama and show her what has just happened and she gives me that look as if to say, "I told you not to mess with it". I go to the bathroom and sit on the sink to get real close to the mirror and I examine my new missing tooth and get depressed about how ugly I look with these gapping hole in my mouth. I then go back to the bar, get my drink, go back to my family's table and chug it.
That's when Corey wakes me up to tell me it's time for school.

I have these stupid nightmares so often that I think I need therapy. It's a good thing I'm married to a therapist.

No comments: