25 May 2010

On his birthday

My baby had 3 shots today.
It was awful to watch him in that much pain.
To add to the already traumatic experience, he had fell asleep on my shoulder during the time it took to get the nurse back in after the doctor left. He woke up and was poked...3 times.
I know that every baby and every mother goes through this but this is different. This is my baby.
He was so calm. He looked around after I laid him on the table, and found me. A calm, peaceful, curious face in the blink of an eye turned to a red, scrunched face with his head thrown back and wailing the most heartbreaking cry.
I won't forget that switch, those two very different faces, as long as I live.
My heart is still broken.

1 comment:

Leanne Penny said...

that was such a hard day for me as a Mom too. I hated being responsible for her pain, but if it helps, I took comfort in knowing I was saving her pain in the future... If it helps :-)