11 July 2010

Sunday morning disappointment

I just had a bad experience in church this morning.
We leave Simon in the nursery during worship service. I miss him the whole time, but it's good for him to have others take care of his needs so he learns trust. Anywho, so I realized during service that I had forgot to tell them that he needed to be put down for his nap on his belly, otherwise he screams bloody murder. So I leave service, go to the children's wing, sure that they'll be pulling their hair out because of his shrieking.
I walk in, look around and Simon is not in there. Everyone else is, but not Simon. The girl I left him with sees me looking around and says, "Oh, he's in the other room. He was disturbing the other babies." The other room is two doors away, with nothing in it but extra furniture and supplies. I give her "the stink eye," and hurry into the "other room". Simon, my poor baby, is lying on his back, no blanket, in this dark, what looks like a hardly used storage room, crying. All by himself. No one watching him, or trying to comfort him. I got so mad. Who in their right mind puts a baby down in a room, two doors away, all alone, clearly upset because he's screaming...who?
I pick him up, talk to him a second on our way back to the right room where all the other babies and "caretakers" are, and lay him down in there. I remain in the nursery with him until Corey comes down after service is done. I was not going to leave him again with someone who gives me the impression that she doesn't know what she's doing and would just put him as far away as possible if he cried. And she knew. She knew that this mother was not happy with the situation. She dodged me the rest of the time I was down there.
I'm not going to be one of those mothers that is overprotective and refuses to have someone else care for Simon, so he will go back to the nursery. He will not, however, be given to that girl ever again.
Nobody mistreats Simon or this mama will fight you.

1 comment:

Wes said...

That seems to be a big concern in churches, it definitely shows that our churches can have a bigger need than a lot of people think in that area.