I thought my mamaw and papaw were bad with their coffee drinkin'.
Roanoker's are CrAzY about their coffee. When I say Roanoker's, I mean out of the 2008 provisional [population] estimate of 92,344 residents in Roanoke, 92,336 drink coffee religiously. They don't just have a cup in the morning to get their days started right; they have a cup or three in the morning, at least 2 cups at night while settling down for the night and about 2 or 3 cups in between.
We have went through more coffee since living here than we did our 2.5 years in Wilmore...scratch that, more than our years in Wilmore and Berea. In 3 months, we've went through more bags of coffee than we did in 6.5 years. If you're not stunned by that statistic, go back and read that line again; let it sink in. I'll wait.
.........................................................................................................................................................................
Okay, now that you've processed that, let me tell you this. That doesn't count the coffee that is made at dinner each Wednesday night at church before the service/classes, or the coffee made in Sunday School classes each week, or the coffee made at each person's house that we visit, and for the record, we have a game night with friends just about every week as well as individual friend visits at least once a week each week; I wanted to state that so you couldn't just dismiss that with the thought that we didn't visit people much. Yeah.
I have a friend that comes over each Tuesday after her bible study; she comes over, eats lunch with us and us girls either watch a movie, play the Wii, go out on the town for a couple hours, or sit around talking. She has asked me to make a pot of coffee at 12:30 in the afternoon. We have stopped at Starbucks so she could have coffee before going in the mall; again, that was in the middle of the day. (Disclaimer: My friend is a great girl and I really enjoy the time I have with her.)
Every time we have friends over, we have to have a pot of coffee in the making. If we don't, you can bet they will ask where the coffee is and we end up making a pot anyway.
I understand if y'all reading this are thinking that I'm talking crazy and maybe, must maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing. Yes? At least a couple of y'all are thinking that, I know it.
But it is a big deal; I've never in my life made so much coffee or been offered so much coffee or been in so many different places where coffee was made and available. In My Life.
And I thought mamaw and papaw were religious coffee drinkers by having a cup in the morning with breakfast AND a cup after supper. Now I see, when it comes to coffee drinkin', they're the amateurs.
No comments:
Post a Comment