Today was different from all the others- I found a bunny, just a few weeks old I'm guessing, in our driveway by the trashcans. He was all alone and there were lots of flies swarming around him. He didn't move very fast either, no jumps, no scurring, just waddling little foot after little foot. So I got a box, covered the bottom inch with grass and clover, and caught the poor little thing (after putting on gloves). He was so tiny. Then I didn't know what to do- I just couldn't leave him like that. So after he was safe inside the house in his little AVON box, I got to calling people. I called mama to ask what I should do, I texted Andrea to see what she thought I should do, and taking Andrea's advice, I called the Roanoke Animal Hospital. They said that since it a wild bunny, I needed to call the Roanoke Wildlife Rescue. So I called them. They were concerned about the flies- they said that was never a good thing. And they told me to bring him in and they would do all they could to nurse the little guy back to health. So we took him in, and was greeted by Dorothy who was holding a baby raccoon on her shoulder like a baby. We told Peter Rabbit's story about how we found him, and we left him there with Dorothy. On our way back to the car, we noticed little deer she had in a big fenced lot- about 21 baby deer and a duck. There were cages and lots everywhere. There's no telling how many animals and of what kind she had there, in her yard and in her basement (yeah, the facility was run the basement of her house). She was a sweet woman, with pictures everywhere of animals that had been brought to her that she had helped.
And now, Peter is one of them. Our cute, poor little Peter Rabbit.

No comments:
Post a Comment